The International English Language Testing System commonly known as IELTS. IELTS Examination is considered as a ticket for students and professionals aspiring to study, work and settle abroad. It is accepted by many colleges in Australia, Britain, Canada, New Zealand, Ireland and South Africa. Every test needs a schedule and planning for preparation and IELTS Examination is no exception to it. A basic understanding of the pattern and a consistent preparation by following the schedule would be suffice to get a good score. A coaching class would help to get a clear understanding about the pattern and provide a successful tried and tested schedule. Preparation on your own might sometime be time consuming and lead to confusions.
IELTS test consists of 4 sections, namely,
The writing section comprises of two tasks which has to be completed in a span of 60 minutes.
- Task 1: Task 1 is writing a report in 150 words based on some graphic information like a single line graph, double line graph, bar graph, pie chart, table or a diagram of a process. Candidates must complete this section within 20 minutes since it has less weightage when compared to task 2. The report should be objective and opinions ought to be avoided. If the graph contains a lot of information, then summarizing it in a short and simple way would be impressive. Grammar and vocabulary are to be watched carefully and the use of adverbs and adjectives to describe a scenario would increase the chances of getting a high score.
- Task 2: This comprises of essay writing in about 250 words within a time span of 40 minutes. Proper connected sentences along with a good vocabulary and grammar can give an added advantage to your end result. Handwriting also plays a role in your essay test and can create a marginal difference.
This section is equivalent to the final round of an MNC’s interview process. The examiner will first ask to introduce yourself and about your hobbies, passion and so on. Then a topic of general interest will be asked to discuss. The 3rd part discussed here is a role play. The examiner explains to you a scenario to which you need to ask corresponding questions. This part is done to test your questioning abilities and the variety of questions you ask. The final discussion will be about your future plans and you can end with a fitting conclusion. A confident, fluent English and an eye-to-eye contact is a big plus to impress the examiner.
Reading section consists of 3 texts of between 500 and 900 words each. A time limit of 60 minutes will be provided to answer 40 questions. Time management is an important factor to be kept in mind since many students find it difficult to complete this section within the prescribed time. Proper practice helps improve speed and accuracy. The most common types of questions in reading are as follows:
- Summary completion
- Matching headings to paragraphs
- Identifying the writer’s views
- Multiple choice
- Selecting factors
- Table completion
- Matching causes and effects
- Sentence completion
- Short answer questions
This section needs perfect concentration in listening and even a day dream for a second might cost you a question. A time limit of 40 minutes is provided where a candidate has to listen and mark the correct answers in 30 minutes and 10 minutes is provided to copy the answers to answer sheet. Candidates shouldn’t be surprised by hearing various accents of English since its of international standard. An aspirant can improve his listening skills by listening to English channels on radio and also orations of American presidents. An array of question types, commonly asked in IELTS test is mentioned below.
- Selecting topics
- Summary completion (fill in the blanks type)
- Multiple choice
- Form completion
- Sentence completion
- Short answers
‘Smart work is better than hard work’ is a true phenomenon in the case of IELTS. A clear understanding of the pattern and a consistent preparation for a maximum of 2 months would get an 8+ for sure. Prepare well, book a slot for IELTS Exam, perform meticulously which will eventually get your tickets booked for your desired abroad destination!